Instructor: Cynthia O’Connell
Community: Ages 8-10, After school group, Boys and Girls Club, 40-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 18, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Children standing up for themselves
Props/Music Resources required: laptop for music, sphere, mindful moments cards
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere, student lead, 5- 10 breaths, and one student counts
- Pulse Count
- Mindful Moment card – Grounding, ask students to sit and close their eyes. Student reads: Imagine yourself sitting on a large warm rock on the top of a mountain. It is a beautiful clear day and you can see for miles. Where are you and what can you see?
- Discussion – Start discussion of what students see and what they hear. How do they feel when they are in this place? Explain what being grounded means.
- Roots – feet in number 11, student led. First with eyes open, then closed.
- Mat 20 – Finish in Mountain and hold position, body activated and aligned. Hold for 30 seconds. Then stressing confidence 1 minute.
- Harassment Prevention activity – Steps in stopping Harassment – Practice
- Sphere breathing – student leads
- Guided relaxation – using the image of walking through the forest and sitting down under a tree observing life around you.