Instructor: Phoenix Ries
Community: Ages 7-11, Sibling group with siblings on the Autism Spectrum, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 4, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Props/Music Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere, mats, drum, lavender essence
- Belly Breathing – with the Hoberman Sphere: 5-10 breaths (kids decide and then one child counts) – Sitting on your mat, feel your sits bones root down into the earth as your spine lengthens upwards. Hands on your belly as you breathe, long, slow breaths in and out through your nose. Feel your chest and back and ribs expand with each breath.
- Leg Extensions & Cat/Cow – Warm –up with leg extensions and cat-cow. Lie on your back and raise r leg. Hold behind the thigh and make circles with your ankle. Repeat on other side. On your hands and knees, table top, arch your back like a cat, then bring your back into a sway back, like an old cow. Do this several times to loosen up your spine.
- Belly Breathing – Locate and connect power and strength of the belly with love and care of the heart – Lie on your back again. Hand on belly. Place your hands on your belly the center of strength and power. Power of breath. Now put your hands on your heart. Center of love and care for people and things. Explain that one without the other can be problem. Warriors connect them. Think of time when you were able to use your strength and love to support someone.
- Mountain Pose
- Roots – wearing a crown, strong and steady.
- Modified Chair 15 (on the mat) – Emphasize warrior pose. Instructor leads through first, then has student lead for second time through. Ask for compliments for student who led.
- Feelings Game – with Drum – Act out these feelings with a beat of the drum. Move around the room. No touch or sounds. Freeze when you hear the drum again. Repeat.
- Debrief – Quick debrief. What did you notice? Which feelings were easiest to act out?
- Twist – Lie on your back. Would you like a spritz of relaxation? Mist each student.Twist left and right.
- Relaxation – Read Stillness card “What do you hear your heart telling you?
- Volcano Breath – Sit up. Volcano breath/Heart thoughts to someone who needs your strength, love and/or encouragement.