Instructor: Galina Weber
Community: Ages 7-11, “Parent Works” group for children taken out of home by social services, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 10, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Words: “Calm is Strong.”
- Belly Breathing – with Hobberman Ball. Ask one student to lead and another to count. Talk with children that breathing can calm down our thoughts and Calm means Strong and I want them to be strong inside and out.
- Mountain Pose – Stand tall and proud and present in the moment.
- Star – Ask children while standing to spread their feet wide apart and point their toes straight ahead. Activate muscles and extend out through arms, legs, head and tail.
- Triangle – Feel the strength in the foot. Stretch the arm toward the ceiling.
- Transitioning Routine – downward dog, Upward Mountain/Forward Bend 2 times, Mountain, Chair, Forward Bend.
- Volcano Breath – Ask children to think of a person that makes them feel very Strong and send Love thoughts to that person.
- Plank – Feel the Strength in your whole body.
- Cobra – Ask children to make a slow hissing sound and lift their head, heart and belly.
- Downward Dog
- Archetype Game – Before the game ask children to pay attention which Archetype is easy and natural to become and which are uncomfortable. While using the drum ask children to become the given Archetypes and characters. Ask which Archetype were their favorite and which can make them stronger? Talk about different situations in life and which Archetype is the best to use at the particular moment.
- Belly Breathing – with hands on belly. Ask children to think of the moment when they felt Good and Strong about themselves. Think about that moment and breathe 10 times.
- Changing Channels – Let children lay down on the mats in the position they feel comfortable. Imagine summer time by the lake, comfortable temperature and everything is green around. Now change to winter time – everything is white around and it is freezing. Let them create their own channel. Talk with kids that their ability to change the channel can make them very Strong.