Instructor: Galina Weber
Community: Ages 7-11, “Parent Works” group for children taken out of home by social services, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 10, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Ball. Ask one student to lead the breathing and another to count. Ask all the students to try breathing together with the leader in the same rhythm. Talk with kids about finding their own rhythm and that they should not hold their breath too long or strain it if it is uncomfortable.
- Tree Circle – Ask all the students to make a circle and practice Strong Voice together: I’m strong, I’m in control, I can do it, I can be responsible, I love myself the way I am, I’m complete, while feeling support from each other.
- Arm Swings – First ask children to move their arms fast 5 times, slow 5 times.
- Routine with Partner – High 5 with Elbow Bend, Straight Arm, Double Arm Partner Pull, Wrist Pull, Back Breathing. Repeat routine two times.
- Sharing – Ask children who do they feel the most support from in the community?
- Exploring Feelings – Ask the students to brainstorm for bad and good feelings and name them. Write down four of them on the board. Ask one student to demonstrate one feeling without words and the rest of the students to guess the feeling. Talk with students about assuming the feelings and that different feelings can look the same. Ask students what make them feel a certain way?
- Volcano Breath – Ask children to pick a person in the room they want to send a friendly thoughts and feelings.
- Happiness Recipe – Let students to fill out Happiness Recipe worksheet. Let them share the answers.