Instructor: Katie Thune
Community: Ages 6-9
Plan Creation Date: July 13, 2011
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening (Feelings, working on identifying different feelings)
Setting the tone/creating a therapeutic environment:
- Turn on yoga lamp – other lights are off
- Have soft music playing
- Have photo cards of different people with different feelings around the candle in the middle of the mats.
- Play bell three times. Have students listen and raise their thumb when they can’t hear the sound anymore.
Ten breaths with the Hoberman sphere. One student can lead. Two compliments to the leader after breaths.
Explain to students that we are going to focus on feelings and how we express all sorts of feelings. We will also be working on identifying different feelings.
– Photo cards – Have each student choose one photo card from the center of the circle and bring it back to their mat. They should look at the card and think about why they chose the card. Let those that want to share, share with the group why they chose the specific card that they did. Ask them to think about what kind of feeling they think the person is expressing in the photo. Go around and share the different feelings they see in their cards.
– Mat 20 – Go though salutation three times.
– Exploring Feelings activity – Brainstorm a list with the group of different feelings we express. Write on the board. Ask the students the purpose of these different feelings. Students take turns acting out one of the feelings listed on the board. Other students have to guess. If they can’t get it after three tries, the actor has to tell which feeling it is. Let everyone have a turn.
Use a story that has different feelings that a person might express. Can make up the story or use a story from Ready…Set…R.E.L.A.X.
Social Emotional Guidance:
Exploring Feelings activity – they get to experience different feelings and have fun playing a game with their friends. It’s good practice to figure out what a person is feeling by watching their face or body language.