Instructor: Joan Bellontine
Community: Bodyworks, ages 6-8
Plan Creation Date: September 9, 2012
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Mountain with Strong Voice Activity – Tell them to stand as if they were “locked and loaded… strong and
secure.” Ask questions from “Strong Voice Worksheet.”
- Arm Swings – As they swing their arms like a bird, have them imagine they are flying like an eagle.. they then settle onto a branch on a big, strong oak tree. Repeat positive talk regarding what they Eagle would be saying. .. I am strong, I am in control…
- Chair – when they sit into the pose have them imagine they are sitting down onto a stump of a oak tree. Like the eagle, have them repeat positive self talk.. I am strong, I am in control, I can do it, I am responsible.
- Dancer (modified) – Think about when the eagle lifts one of his wings to stretch.. go into dancer pose and feel the stability and grounded feeling of the stretch as your foot stays securely rooted to the ground beneath you.
- Eagle – You are now the Eagle, fully engage in the pose feeling big, strong and sure of yourself.
- Volcano breath – Send peaceful thoughts to someone special… What message are you thinking of sending them
- Tell a story/visualization – Lie on your backs and close your eyes. Melt into the floor as if you were made of liquid, feel your body get completely relaxed. You are taking a walk and all of a sudden it starts to rain. You do not have an umbrella and you get all wet… You feel the raindrops falling on you and you can hear the rain hitting the ground beneath you and the trees around you. It is raining a lot so the sound is getting louder and louder. All of a sudden the rain stops and the sun begins to shine through the clouds, the world becomes much quieter. Listen for the quiet. Reflection/discussion time – How does quiet sound after such a noisy rainstorm?? What would your calm voice say now??