Instructor: Zila Phillips
Community: Ages 6-10, Kids Center, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 5, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Seated Belly Breathing with Hoberman Sphere – Teacher models breaths before asking a student to lead breaths for the class and another student to count the breaths. Students give compliments to both.
- Volcano Breath – Students stand and perform three volcano breaths after modeling by teacher.
- Mountain Pose – Students activate body, feel feet strong into the ground, feel strong as a mountain.
- Roots – Students rock forward and back with body activated and feet firm into the ground. Repeat rocking let and right. Make circles smaller until balanced in the middle. Discuss meaning of being centered.
- Tree Pose – Activate body pressing leg down. Press palms together to help balance. Raise arms up like tree branches.
- Name Toss – Students toss ball to each other while saying the person’s name.
- Changing Channels – Students close their eyes and are asked to notice what they begin to think about. Students are told they will practice how to change channels. Change from playing in the snow to playing on the beach five times. Then one ask student to change channel for class.
- Ideas: Drinking hot chocolate on the couch at home, Baking batch of cookies and smelling them in the oven Swimming, Playing outdoors with a friend Favorite place, Holding a small pet Riding a bike, Picking a bouquet of flowers, Walking in the forest
- Repeat while walking and in tree pose
- Discuss when this skill would be helpful
- Happiness Recipe – Have students fill out and share Happiness Recipe Worksheet.
- Read “Peaceful Piggy Meditation”
- One Minute Exploration – Students think of one thing they have done very well.
- Mindful Snack – Students instructed to wait until everyone has their snack, open the wrappers together and eat slowly, savoring each bite.