Instructor: Kirsten Jamieson
Community: Ages 6-10, 5 children, Home Setting, 40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 5, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Props/Music/Resources Required: Large hoola hoop, cd and player
- Belly Breathing – student led (choose 5-10 breaths) – followed by compliments
- Activate/Relax Walk – Begin in strong, stable mountain pose. Feel all your muscles are working to be as firm as they can. Keep your attention focused, using your eyes and your ears well. Feel your body loose and relaxed as you move around the room. Make your movements free and open.
- Child’s Pose – for 30 seconds or so. Let your forehead be heavy on the floor. Sink down into your hips, knees and the tops of your feet. Breath into your back. Feel your back expanding as the air fills it.
- Volcano Breath – Sit up tall with your back straight and firm and reach the top of your head up toward the sky. Inhale slowly through your nose and feel your lungs expand as they fill up with air. Extend out through your arms as you bring them down and bring your hands back to heart.
- Mat 20 – from Mountain to Mountain with emphasis on the quiet of forward bending. Try closing your eyes in forward bend. Keep your legs strong and feet pressing down equally through heels and toes into the floor. Listen carefully to your even breathing as we stay here for 5 breaths.
- Warrior 1 – Ground down strongly through the four corners of your front foot and press into the toes and ball of the back foot. Activate the leg muscles. Reach up with your arms and expand your chest. Breath fully. Extend all the way to your fingertips (30 secs) and imagine powerful lasers zipping all the way from your belly through and arms and out through your fingers.
- Warrior 2 – Press down firmly through all four corners of both feet. Activate your legs and make your back leg strong. Reach up through the top of your head. Imagine each of your hands is being pulled in opposite directions so your arms are long and firm. Keep your chest open and your shoulders relaxed down. (30 secs)
- Compliment Game – using hoola hoop
- Back Drawing
- Relaxation – using “Listen” script from Ready, Set, R.E.L.A.X