Community: 5-9 Year Olds
Session #1: Developing Community
Instructor: Kathy Flaminio
Plan Creation Date: 3/10/09
Duration: 45 minutes
- Name Cards
- Mindful Snack
- Ground Rules poster
- Positive Talk Poster
- Fresh Flowers
- Hoberman sphere
- Oil and cotton Balls
1.Welcome: As children enter have them decorate their name tags – select one of the cut-outs of children in yoga poses to put on name tag. Find their mat with a cotton ball of oil. Talk about the space between the eyes to place the oil, which helps us relax.
a. What is Yoga, Why are we here – Body, Heart and Mind – Who has done yoga? For those who have done yoga, what did they like?
b. Five principles: In this class we will be learning about coming into stillness, what it feels like to be grounded (centered), exploring our strengths not only in our bodies but with our emotions and our thoughts. We will be practicing listening to our bodies – that is why we are often quiet in yoga so we can listen to what our hearts and bodies need and community – getting to know each other, having fun and sharing ourselves.
c. Ground Rules
d. Positive Talk
3. Community: Name Game with ball
4. Stillness: Breathing with Sphere – We will be using the ball each week to come into stillness. Sit up like Kings and Queens (demonstrate what slouching looks like; ask students what do I look like when I am slouching, what might I be feeling, now sit up tall-what does this convey? Once sitting tall place your hands on your lower belly. Notice how your body feels today. Close your eyes or look down so you can move inside – 10 seconds – Blink the eyes open and gaze at the Hoberman Sphere (teacher demonstrates and gives to one of the students to lead). 12 times.
5. Listening: Pulse Rate – Find your pulse and listen to the rhythm of your heart – 15 seconds – share: talk about how you might feel when your heart rate beats really fast; now how might you feel when your heart rate is slow?
6. Community and Listening: Volcano Breath – Send out heartfelt thoughts. Share with the group
7. Strength: Mat Flow. Break it down (just the salutation and tree)
8. Community and Listening: Back drawing
9. Progressive relaxation
10. Mindful snack
11. Compliments to the student who led the sphere
12. Snack assignment: Each week we select two students to bring snack and drink – must be organic or local. Have them learn about the food they are bringing to share.