Population/Setting/Length: Ages 5-8, Boys and Girls Club, Summer Camp, 1 hour
Plan Creation Date: 8/22/16
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – with one student leading with the Hoberman sphere and another counting. Give the other children an opportunity to give both individuals compliments.
- Volcano Breath – while sending wishes and feelings to others
- Arm Swings – while hearing and repeating the Yoga Calm Guidelines, sending each one out with our breath: “I am strong, I am in control, I can do it, I can be responsible”
- Chair 15 – (without chairs) – Lead the group through this flow. Moving together in our little community of yogis.
- Build a Yoga Movement Story – using our own poses, going around in a circle to add a sentence or two to our story and creating a yoga sequence with our bodies that match the words.
- Back Breathing – With a partner take turns feeling the other person breath by placing our hands on the other person’s mid back and then shoulders. Breathing together to match the breath.
- Twists – on the mat.
- Final Relaxation – imagining how we felt doing our favorite summer activity, where we were, who we were with. Optional share at the end of yoga.
Instructor: Sarah Knudsen