Instructor: Carrie Green
Community: Classroom Setting??, Ages 5-10, Girls Group
Plan Creation Date: November 23, 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Seated Belly Breathing – Students sit in a chair with feet on the ground, hip-width apart. Hands are placed on the belly. Breathe into your belly so that hands go up and down like waves in the ocean. Relax all muscles to slow the breath even further. Keeping one hand on the belly, bring the other hand up to the chest. Breathe from belly hand to heart hand.
- Seated Pulse Count – Take two fingers to the side of the mouth. Tip head slightly back and draw a line down with fingers into groove along the neck. Press gently to find pulse. Raise other hand when pulse is found. Count pulse silently to self. Now we will count our pulse for 15 seconds. Have students share what their count was.
- Warrior l – Stand with legs hip-width apart. Take right foot back 3 to 4 feet with heel off floor and straighten back leg. Moves hips forward and slide the back leg back until front knee is right over the front ankle. Take arms over head, palms facing each other and fingers extending. Lift belly, head ad heart. Repeat on other side. Variation: chair can be used from previous seated activities. Have students repeat the phrase “I am strong. I am in control. I can do it. I can be responsible.”
- Chair Twist – Sit in a chair with feet on the floor, hip-width apart. Press down through feet and sitting bones, stretch up through top of head. Take left hand across the right knee and pace right hand on the back of the chair. Slowly and gently turn belly, heart and head toward the back of the chair. Shoulders stay back and down. Repeat on the other side.
- One- minute Exploration – Turn off lights, turn on quiet, soothing music, student lie on mat. Ask students to Plan a party for yourself and your friends. What would you do? Where would you go? Breathe. Relax.