Instructor: Carrie Green
Community: Classroom Setting??, Ages 5-10, Girls Group
Plan Creation Date: August 3, 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing – with one student leading with “Hoberman” and another choosing the number of breaths and counting off.
- 30 Seconds of Stillness – Read Mindful Moment Card
- Rock and Roll – Lie on back, bend knees toward chest, and grab shins. Slowly alternate rocking forward and back on the spine from hips to upper back. Go slowly enough to maintain control. Now, while still holding the knees, rock gently from side to side.
- Boat – without touching your feet to the floor, roll up to sitting bones and balance.
- Roll to Stand
- Mountain – Stand with feet hip-width apart, pointing straight ahead; press them down into the earth. Palms together at the heart. Lift belly, head and heart. Shoulders are back and down. Look straight ahead. Body it activated.
- Tree Pose – Let the wind blow through your branches, then return to stillness-feeling the contrast between windy and still.
- Changing Tree – 4 beats of windy, 4 beats of stillness
- Variation – with this age group I have them do this with both feet on the ground.
- Volcano Breath – Imagine your breath rising up deep from the earth, like a volcano. Take a deep breath through the nose and pause when the lungs are full. Hold the pause and bring the arms over the head. Exhale and slowly “explode the volcano,” moving arms out to the side and then back together at heart.
- Think of someone or something you would like to send your heart thoughts to. Get the image of the person, animal or place in you mind. On the next Volcano Breath, send your thoughts out to that person.
- Now think of something that you would like to bring into your life. On the next exhale, shower this image around you.
- Ask children to lie on back and be very still for 30 seconds. Your bodies need to rest after working so hard.
- Read a Mindful Moment Card on Stillness.