Instructor: Janina Haug
Community: Ages 5-10, Lifetime Fitness setting
Plan Creation Date: February 27, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
This lesson I used during a Kids Class at Lifetime Fitness with children aged 5-10. Some of the kids had experience with yoga and some did not. This would be a good lesson to do at the beginning of the school year when children are getting to know each other, but do need to know each other a little and be comfortable around each other.
Class Intention: Develop social skills to be able to have conversations with each other
Setting the Tone: Yoga Basket. Also have room set up before children enter room or have a helper help set the mats up in a circle, play mat tag as we wait for everyone to enter
- Breath Work – Back Breathing in Child’s Pose
- Opening Remarks – Today we are going to practice feeling safe and supported in our classroom community. Let’s think of people and times that we felt supported and loved.
- Yoga Based Activities – start in child’s pose since we were doing back breathing, cobra, child, cobra (do this a few times to get warm/activate), dog, forward fold, a few volcano breaths, mountain, side bends, warrior I, warrior II, side angle, star to transition to other side, warrior I, warrior II, side angle, tree pose, tree challenge, partner pulls, tree circle.
- Social/Emotional Activities – Personal Space (pg. 121)
- Final Relaxation – Read Story “Have You Filled a Bucket Today? By Carol McCloud
- Have children listen to story and think about what it means to them, when done reading/resting they may look at the pictures of book.