Instructor: Carrie Green
Community: Classroom Setting??, Ages 5-10, Girls Group
Plan Creation Date: August 23, 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – with one student leading with “Hoberman” and another choosing the number of breaths and counting off.
- 30 Seconds Stillness – Read Mindful Moment Card: Take a moment to remember your family. Think of aunties, uncles, grandmas and grandpas, brother, sisters and cousins. Imagine them making a circle around you to help you when you are in need.
- Roots – With body activated, and eyes closed, circle right and left. Notice how your feet help you to balance. What are you circling around?
- Tree Prep – Now imagine one of your family members or friends holding your right foot steadily to the ground. See if you can slowly lift your other foot off the floor. Switch sides.
- Tree Circle – Make a large circle, facing in. Raise hands together and stretch them out. Fingers pointing up. Place hands together with the person on each side and lift right leg up in Tree pose. Press into each others hands. Switch legs. Notice how your friends help to support you.
- Tree – Now stand with legs and feet together, shift you weight onto the left foot, slowly bend the right knee and draw the right foot up, placing the sole as high a possible on the inner leg, ankle, or shin. Activate your body and press standing leg down, rooting yourself like a tree to the earth. Press palms together in front of your heart to help with balance and slowly stretch your arms and head up like branches to the sky, while rooting your standing leg. Switch sides and repeat.
- Calm Voice – lie on back and hands place on belly. Breathe into your belly so that hands go up and down with the breath like waves in the ocean. Relax all muscles to slow your breath. Play quiet music and slowly read the sentences from the Calm Voice Worksheet, pausing long enough for the children to process the ideas that come into their minds. Open eyes, have children fill out this page individually without talking. Allow time for sharing.
- Read – Children All Over the World