Instructor: Amy Stringer
Community: Ages 4-7, Fit Kids Class, 40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 14, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Briefly introduce today’s focus: Stillness.
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: Cue students to pull string from top of head to sit tall. Give brief reminder of process of breathing with sphere. Ask experienced student to hold sphere. Ask another student to count 5 or 7 breaths as we breathe.
- Pulse Count – Show students where to place two fingers next to mouth and slide down. Count pulse for 15 seconds. Share & discuss results.
- Leg Stretch
- Boat – Cue: lift chest. Hold in boat while rowing and sing “Row, row, row your boat”.
- Rock & Roll
- Mountain – Cue: all four corners of the feet. Stillness: cue students to listen to sounds around.
- Down Dog – Cue: engage lower abdomen muscles without making them hard.
- Sun Salutation Sequence – do once per side: Have students count while holding poses, choosing between 7-10. Have student lead second round. Ask for compliment for student leader.
- Warrior 1
- Warrior 2
- Down Dog
- Crescent Moon – Cue students to tune into stillness: “Be still like the moon and shine your beams to the earth”.
- Tree Pose – Move to bar for stability for young ones. Have students lift hand off bar and count in head how long they can hold. Once students have found stability, cue into stillness “Feel your roots digging strong into the ground, feel your trunk still and strong; feel your branches reaching out and up to the sky. Notice how still a tree is”. Repeat pose on other side.
- Tree Circle – cue stillness: “Feel your body strong and still like a tree”.
- Bridge – Have student count to hold 5-7. Repeat 2 times.
- Relaxation – Ready, Set, Relax: Read relaxation story related to stillness.