Instructor: Kim Buller
Community: Ages 4-6, Setting?, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 25, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing (hoberman’s sphere) – Ask group how many breaths they want to start with. Have child volunteer to count. Then have child volunteer to lead. Ask for compliments.
- Repeat Positive Self-Talk together.
- Mindful Moment Card – “Remember a time you felt strong in your body. What were you doing? Who was there?” Give children time to share.
- Activate/Relax Walk – While I play the drum, you will all walk around in a relaxed manner. I will then call out an animal and when the drum stops you will freeze in an active pose as that animal. Focus on how strong the animal is and how strong you are in your body as the animal. Practice several times. Ask for ideas regarding what animals they want to be.
- As we learn our next poses, I will show you what the pose looks like, tell you the steps and then we’ll do it all together.
- Superman – Think of your favorite superhero and the strength that superhero has. As we come into Superman, imagine having those special super powers.
- Cobra – Sometimes we show our strength in more quiet ways. Imagine yourself being strong and protected as you lift your head, heart and belly to see through the grass. Repeat 2 more times.
- Mountain – We feel our strength grounded in our feet and moving all the way through the top of our head. Imagine strong mountains all standing together.
- Woodchopper – Can feel our strength as we energize our body and use our voice. Imagine chopping the piece of wood in front of you. Repeat 4 times.
- Belly Breathing/Relaxation Story – Going to lay down on our mats and feel our body calming down as we take deep breaths together. Place your hands on your belly and feel your belly rise and fall with your breath. Read Rainbow Walking from Ready, Set R.E.L.A.X.