Instructor: Emily Mehr
Community: Ages 4-5, Preschool Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 15, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Chime – Use this to start the class and “Open our ears.” Students will wave their hand while they can hear the chime to mimic the vibration of the chime. When they can no longer hear the chime, they will silently give a “thumbs up.” Once the chime has stopped, take a silent, still moment to see what we can hear now that we have opened our ears, as opposed to before we started.
- Belly Breathing – with Breathing Ball: As a group decide how many breaths to take. Each child will get a chance to lead, and then gently pass the ball to the next person. Emphasize that we are working together to “open our lungs” and when it’s not their turn, they can be following along and using their hands and pretend to be holding the ball.
- Mountain Pose – Stand tall and still like a mountain.
- Volcano Breaths – Together, without any words, we will turn our mountains into volcanoes.
- Roots – Let your feet sink into the floor, and close your eyes. Pretend like you are gently blowing in the breeze on a calm, warm summer’s day.
- Star – Shine like a star in the night sky. Let your fingers twinkle.
- Crescent Moon – Slowly, we are going to bend back and forth like the moon in the sky.
- Activate/Relax Walking – Using our “open ears” we will listen to the drum beat and practice being active and still.
- Change the Channel Relaxation – We will be “moving” to various locations in our minds, but our bodies will remain still and calm. Themes for the channels will relate to the stars, moon, clouds, and mountains.