Instructor: Vicki Lunghofer
Community: Ages 3-5, preschoolers, Child Care Center Setting, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 13, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – (p 63) demonstrate with Hoberman Sphere with children seated on floor. ( 5-6 times) Allow each child to do Hoberman Sphere with close supervision for 2 breaths. Rest of children say words “Breathe in” “Breathe out”. Praise children’s efforts
- Discussion – Talk about how when we relax or slow down our body adjusts. Attempt teaching to feel pulse. Talk about how they control their breathing and also their pulse ( to a certain extent)
- Story – Share story book ”The Kissing Hand”
- Mountain – ( p 79) Focus on alignment and stability of a mountain Do this for about 1-2 minutes
- Upward mountain and Crescent Moon – ( p 96) Focus on feet grounded into the floor and keeping us steady Do for about 1-2 minutes. Do the above 2 poses in sequence for about 30 seconds each. Have 1 or 2 children lead the sequence after initial practice. Praise children leaders
- Roots – (p 85) Focus on grounding the 4 corners of the feet and maintaining their stability about 2 minutes
- Block Creek – (p 64) (since these are younger children I would have a shorter walk and probably have 2 children doing the walk in proximity to each other) Focus on the fact that they can do this but it requires them to focus and walk slowly. Talk about how sometimes it can be hard to do things slowly and Do this about 5 minutes. Compliment children on their effort.
- Volcano Breath – Do short segment of volcano breath to help children calm down again
- Star Pose – (p 88) Talk about how in the story mom showed her love .
- Warrior II and Side Angle – Move into Warrior II (p 99) ( or surfing as the children have termed this pose) The move into Side Angle ( pg 87) Come back to center and repeat on other side. After a couple of repetitions, have one of children demonstrate the poses with help as needed. Praise child’s efforts
- Archetype Game – Do modified archetype game ( activate and relax walk) Call out characters who demonstrate inner security and stability
- Pinwheel Breath – Move to sitting. Have children do Pinwheel breath (p 81). Focus on the fact that they can control their breath.
- Child’s Pose – Have children do either kneeling child’s pose or relaxation pose
- Guided Relaxation – Do short guided relaxation, focus on breath in and breath out, relax and soften. Focus on a parent’s or caregiver’s love as in the story.