Instructor: Caroline Walkley
Community: Adolescent In-Patient Mental Health
Plan Creation Date: August 6, 2012
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Set the Room
- Lights dimmed, each mat has a battery tea light, seashell and a pinwheel
- “Yoga is” – Mind/body connection through the breath
- Not a competition
- Your mat is your personal space.
- This is your class – honor your body and also challenge it.
- Listening – choose a listening word from the bowl (Words: Quiet, Nature, Peace, Listening, Heart, Wisdom, Calm)
- Say to students, “Listening is not only about hearing others, but listening to your inner voice that guides you to health and happiness. Your body has a wisdom that leads you to what is best for you. Sometimes we have not checked in with ourselves in so long that we do not hear it right away. We have to practice listening to hear what is inside us. Often we find calmness and peace in nature. This seashell reminds us to listen to our selves.
- Pulse/raise hand – p 83 Ask, “What might be going on for you if your pulse is high? (exercise and also mention when you are anxious or a lot is on your mind)
- Belly Breathing – p 63 through nose if possible, explain chest vs belly breath on NS, calming our breath calms our mind and we can tune in with ourselves
- Rock and Roll – p 84 – I always say giggling is optional. ☺
- Forward Bend – from boat roll forward, press hands and feet in mat and come to a forward bend. Slowly come up to standing.
- Mountain – p 79 – feet parallel to each other (show pigeon/duck), #11 for feet, lift top of the head to the sky, in Mountain show 4 Corners of feet and hands press hands together
- Roots – p 85 – centered as you rock, palms together at heart
- Crescent – p 96
- Volcano – p 97 – Language : Volcano breath calms, centers, and releases tension. Shower yourself with your Listening word or something you would like to bring into your time in the hospital
- SS from Mat Flow (3x with different leaders) – p 158 from Mountain to Mountain – Place the listening word you chose on the front of your mat. Every time you come to the front of your mat in your Sun Salute, say your word to yourself, bring that intention into your body and make it your own.
- Compliments for leaders
- WII – p 99 – heel to heel alignment – LT leg back first
- Past, present, future activity with seashell in hand p 119
- Rising moon – front palm to sky, back hand to back thigh
- Side angle – p 87
- Star – p 88
- Tree – p 91 – cue gaze – RT foot standing, then LT
- Dancer – p 72
- Forward Bend – p 76
- Pinwheel Breath – p 81 (begin with Hoberman Sphere, pursed lips, pinwheel in back of throat too, no gasping)
- Breathing prone into belly– Self-Observation without Judgment Reading – Invite you to say something to yourself about your participation that is positive.
- Cobra – p71 – press into 4 corners of hands, Language – feel the connection of your body on the mat, lift head and heart
- Airplane – p 89
- Bow – p 66
- Child’s Pose – with side stretch – p 70
- Bridge – p 67
- Twist – p 95 – with cactus arms – ask individually if they would like adjustments
- Knees to chest – one leg at a time, feet flexed
- Relaxation Pose
- Put the listening word on your heart and seashell on your belly. You can infuse your listening word into your body during the relaxation.
- Now, breathe into your belly having the seashell rise and fall.
- Eye Covers with Lavender if they like the smell
- Progressive relaxation
- Guided Relaxation – p 116 in Ready . . . Set . . .Relax – Listen
- with Calm Voice activity at end – Ocean music
- Calm Voice – p 106 with writing
- Pulse Count at end