Instructor: Kelly Mulvehill
Community: 8th Grade, After School Girls Group, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 1, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Before class begins, each girl will choose pieces of paper with different feelings on them. (words that they want to bring in their life or are drawn to in the present moment)
- Belly Breathing – with one student leading with Hoberman sphere and another counting off a selected number of breaths. Ask for 2-3 compliments for the leader. Have the leader compliment the counter.
- Read Mindful Moment Card – “Think of a time when you wanted to learn something. It was hard to learn and perhaps you got frustrated and upset. Think about how you got better at this activity the more you practiced. What helped you have the strength to keep trying?
- Volcano Breath – As you inhale, imagine you are bringing one of your feelings on your paper into your life. Do this a few times. Think of a person who supports you and makes you feel strong and safe. Send a volcano breath to that person.
- Upward Mountain and Crescent Moon to each side.
- Warrior Challenge – Ask a student to challenge the group to hold warrior for a longer time: 30 or more counts or beats of the drum. Have the student lead it. Give compliments at the end. “Does it take emotional strength to receive compliments?”
- Arm Swings – As they lift their arms up, think of a feeling they want to bring in their life. As they lower arms, think of a feeling you want out of your life. Example: Inhale Peace, Exhale Stress
- Exploring Feelings Activity
- Chair Twist
- Belly Breathing – Take 5 belly breaths
- Happiness Recipe Worksheet