Instructor: Julie Geyen
Community: 7-12 year olds, yoga studio or after school program, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Props/Music/Resources required: Music, CD player, Calm Voice worksheets, Mindful Moment Cards, pens, Ready…Set… R.E.L.A.X.
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere for 12 breaths
- Belly Breathing – Student leads with Hoberman Sphere and another counts the appropriate number of breaths
- Read a Mindful Moment Card – “Take the next minute to listen to your breath. See if you can follow your breath as it moves in and out of your body. Imagine your favorite color and picture yourself breathing that color in and out. What does that color mean to you?” Students share the color they imagined and what it means to them.
- Volcano Breath – Think of someone or something that makes you feel calm or still. Send out heartfelt thoughts.
- Mat Flow 20 – Mountain to Mountain focusing on stillness
- Tree Pose – Expand your branches tall as your standing leg grounds you deep into the earth. Find stillness. Now gently move your branches as though a light summer breeze is blowing through them. Return to stillness as the breeze stops blowing.
- Twist – Lie on your back with arms out to the side. Breathe deeply and close your eyes, imagine that favorite color with your breath again.
- Calm Voice Activity
- Sharing – Students have opportunity to share
- Relaxation – Read “Body Breathing” from Ready…Set… R.E.L.A.X.