Instructor: Julie Geyen
Community: 7-12 year olds, yoga studio or after school program, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Props/Music/Resources required: Music, CD player, blocks, Ready…Set… R.E.L.A.X.
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere for 12 breaths
- Belly Breathing – Student leads with Hoberman Sphere and another counts the appropriate number of breaths
- Volcano Breath – Think of someone or something that helps you feel centered/grounded in your body. Send out heart thoughts. Students share who/what their thoughts went to.
- Arm Swings – Students use Positive Self Talk, i.e. “I am strong. I can do it.”
- Roots – Connect all four edges of each foot to the Earth. Activate your muscles as you rock front and back, side to side and then return to the center. What does it mean to be “centered”?
- Mat Flow 20 – Mountain to Mountain – Stand tall like a mountain that is rising up high from deep below the Earth’s surface
- Dancer Pose – Imagine someone important to you holding your foot to the ground as you balance.
- Block Creek Activity – Look down at the blocks as you cross the first time. The second time, keep your gaze forward without looking down.
- Relaxation – Read “One of a Kind” from Ready…Set… R.E.L.A.X.