Instructor: Kate Knochel
Community: 6th Grade Classroom, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing and Pulse Count – Teacher led belly breathing and pulse count.
- Yoga calm Mat 20 – Belly breathing into leg stretch, rock and roll, and volcano breathing.
- Mountain to Mountain Flow – Repeat 3x through, third time student lead with me. Repeat Mountain to Mountain a fourth time adding in Warrior 1 and Warrior II to the flow.
- Twist – End with twist lying down.
- Relaxation – following twist students will do progressive relaxation, first tensing muscles then relaxing them. Follow script on pg. 133 of yoga calm book. While I led relaxation the librarian set up all the materials for mindful snack on the other side of library.
- Mindful Snack – We directed students to quietly get into a circle. First we passed around a fancy napkin, students spread the napkin in front of them. We also passed out hand sanitizer. We poured water in little cups and served the students (this was easiest since we were in the library). We had students pass around Dave’s’ killer bread, Oregon hazelnuts and dark chocolate. Everyone got a small piece and waited until all students have everything. Then we instructed students to eat slowly focusing on how each bite tasted in their mouth. When down everyone tidied up and returned to circle for 30 seconds of seated stillness.