Instructor: Kate Knochel
Community: 6th Grade Classroom, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: 10 Breaths – students sit in their chairs feet connected to the floor, length through the spine and roll your shoulders back. Feel your body connected to the chair.
- Pulse Count – find you pulse and listen to the beat of your heart.
- Yoga Flow – Students engage in Volcano breath, forward fold, warrior I, warrior II and mountain. Then have students seating to do belly breathing again.
- Happiness Recipe Activity – Give students happiness recipe worksheet. This is should be done silently with no talking. Students share what is written, first with a partner, then whole class if they feel comfortable. Point out each student’s recipe will be unique. Money and prestige are not the most important things that make people happy. Friendship and time with family are common themes.
- Seated Twist – and then allow students to do a seated child’s pose they can make a pillow with their hands.
- Relaxation – Mindful moment card focusing on listening: Remember a time when someone said something very kind to you. Can you hear those words right now? Who was that person? Can you remember three good things people have said about you?