Instructor: Kate Knochel
Community: 6th Grade Classroom, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: 10 Breaths – students sit in their chairs feet connected to the floor, length through the spine and roll your shoulders back. Feel your body connected to the chair.
- Pulse Count – find you pulse and listen to the beat of your heart.
- Practice Warrior I and Warrior II – focus on grounding and strength.
- Woodchopper – combine pulse count before and after to check the effect of the pose.
- Strong Voice Activity – Students sit in chairs with their eyes closed. Play quiet music to help bring the awareness inside. Slowly read the sentences on the strong voice activity. After reading the students open their eyes and fill out the worksheet. No talking. Students share their responses with a partner then whole class if they feel comfortable.
- Practice Mountain, Warrior I, Warrior II
- Seated Twist – Focusing on listening to their strong voice and focusing inward.
- Relaxation – Mindful moment card focusing on grounding: Imagine a trail that goes into the forest. Picture that trail with sunlight shining on it. Walk along the trail slowing noticing the plants and animals around you. Now, find a special place in the forest and sit quietly and listen. What do you hear?