Instructor: Shannon Todd
Community: 6th Grade Classroom
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Materials Required: Breathing Ball, Meditation CD, Yoga Posters, Blinds halfway drawn, door closed
- Belly Breathing – with breathing ball – 10 counts
- Mountain Pose – finding their balance – 10 counts
- Students write in their journals the definition for community – the ability to give and receive support, develop compassion and cooperate with others.
- Tree – Students again stand and teacher directs them to practice tree pose to count of 20
- Partner Tree – Then switch to tree pose with a partner. Count of 20.
- Open discussion for ideas on what other poses would benefit from a friend helping.
- Tree/Dancer/Eagle – We’ll try a variety of poses (tree, dancer, eagle) alone and with another, pressing hands together to feel community help of each other. End series of each pose with a circle and group doing each pose together
- Mountain Pose and Upward Mountain Pose – each to a count of 20 then back to mountain.
- Mountain – While in mountain – students close their eyes and focus on a person who has helped them when they have needed it. Think of how it felt wit that support there. Quietly thank the person in their minds.