Instructor: Shannon Todd
Community: Grades 6 – 7, Classroom Setting
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Materials Required: Breathing Ball, Meditation CD, Blinds halfway drawn, door closed
- Belly Breathing – with breathing ball: 10 breaths; next let a student lead with 10 breaths. Close your eyes and listen to the stillness around and within you
- Pulse Count – Students find their own pulse and note its time. Share what heartbeat and pulse means to bring stillness and slowing down pulse.
- Students write in their journals – Stillness – to quiet your body and mind; to show self control and self-regulation.
- Mountain – remember the stance of a mountain. No one can knock you over. Five counts of activate and press together – then relax and then repeat
- Upward Mountain – Students find stillness in their lifted arms
- Chair Flow 15 – focusing on the stillness of each pose ending back in mountain
- Relaxation – Student to find a time they were relaxed and still. Was it on the beach, in the sun, at night, early in the morning?
- Discussion – Students share their reeling of this quiet and still time. Students define stillness in words to each other. Student then will show a quiet pose to the others that means stillness to them.