Instructor: Anne Geuss
Community: 6 – 8 year olds, community center class
Plan Creation Date: May 27, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Pinwheel Breath – Trying to be perfectly still so that the only thing moving is the pinwheel. Is it easier to be still and breath fast and hard, or slow and soft?
- Mountain, Forward Bend, Downward Dog, Forward Bend, Chair, Mountain – 1x Holding each position for 4 beats while trying to be as Still as possible – 1x Student leading, trying to only move through poses when the student leader shows to
- Yoga Calm Quick 5 – Pretend to be a Warrior that has to be sneaky by hiding very quietly w/o moving for 8 beats on each side. Don’t move or you’ll be spotted!
- Roots – Imagine your roots growing deep into the ground, expanding and connecting your strong trunk solidly to the earth. Now find your tallest (centered) self, stretched up through the sky- strong and Still.
- Tree – Practice your best balancing tree, be a strong tree that doesn’t blow in the wind. Strong and still enough for an Eagle to land…
- Eagle – Start in Mountain to find our stillness. Starting briefly in perched, then right to soaring eagle. After they explore balancing as a soaring eagle, bring them in to land in a tree and practice staying perched in stillness.
- Changing Channels – Imagine yourself walking through a beautiful forest. You see the most beautiful tree and find a spot to sit quietly underneath. Being absolutely still so we don’t disturb the animals, notice what you see or hear in the forest. Change the channel- We’re now in a hot air balloon, floating up in the clouds. Imagine what cloud shapes you might see floating silently in the sky. Change the channel – Imagine you are holding a baby animal. Imagine how perfectly still you would be so that you don’t disturb or wake the little animal. Can you imagine taking three quiet, calm breathes with the baby while it sleeps in your arms?