Instructor: Anne Geuss
Community: 6 – 8 year olds, community center class
Plan Creation Date: May 27, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – feeling your breath in your belly rise up to the sky and sink down to the ground
- Volcano Breathing – now feeling your breath lifting up your heart and shoulders, then expanding out in the sky and down toward the earth- exhale all the way, feeling the lava heavy on the ground
- Yoga Calm Top 10 – Reminding them in each position to ground their feet, expanding through their whole foot, all 10 toes and each corner of their feet. Repeat Woodchopper, Mountain, Roots and Crescent Moon asking students to lead with compliments after each position
- Block Creek Game – Progressing up to trying with eyes closed (with helping hands) focusing on really feeling each rock with every step. Taking slow, steady, Grounded steps.
- Rock n Roll and Boat – Letting students lead changing arms in Boat, then Rock n Roll to standing by first finding and placing our grounded feet, then activating our strong leg muscles that push us all the way up to Mountain
- Leg Extentions – Imagining we’re seaweed at the bottom of the ocean. We must stay grounded and connected to the sea rock, or corral to live, but we also must reach our seaweed leg up to the surface to get sunlight.
- Final Relaxation – Exploring a dormant volcano. Starting by climbing to the top, then down into the volcano, noticing the changing soil and earth as we descend deeper and deeper into the center of the earth, and then back out again