Instructor: Linda Scherer
Community: 16-21 year olds, Learning Center class, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Info: Students are adolescents at the Area Learning Center ages 16 through 21. They are independent study students and will come to me for morning yoga and see teachers independently on a one on one basis after my 30 minutes class.
Class Intention: Grounding offers strength, calm, and a sense of direction
Setting the tone/creating a therapeutic environment: We will have class outside in the shade. Students will be encouraged to take off shoes. Music will be nature sounds or class will occur after short walk to river by school. Group will form circle around a tree, or flower for a focal point.
- Breath-Work – Mountain pose – with Belly breathing/hoberman sphere 12 repetitions.
- Volcano breathing and Wood chopper – to release any tentions from the week.
- Opening remarks – Grounding is an important part of our ability to be strong despite difficult situations and to be open to what is unexpected or unfamiliar. Each of us is connected to and a part of something far bigger and stronger than we know. In the same way that the trees and the river are connected to the rain and the earth and the sun we are a part of this also. When we connect to this bigger sense of nature, we are wiser and stronger than we otherwise new. We can enter the unexpected with a calmness because we are not alone but a part of. Think of a time you were able to handle something difficult while staying grounded.
- Yoga-based Activities – Mountain pose/Volcano Breath/Woodchopper
- Forward Fold/Lunge/ Downward Dog/lunge/forward fold/mountain
- Spinal Twists – with wall
- Mountain/Forward Fold/Lunge/Downward Dog/lunge/Warrior 1
- Mountain/Forward fold/Mountain
- Tree Circle – Group supported tree leading into social-emotional Activities
- Social Emotional Activities – Group supported tree
- Partner Stretches – Pairing up and Partner stretches
- Tapping exercise – with partner trying to push over
- Changing Channels game
- Relaxation – Guided Imagery Symbolic Imagery gift from someone met in woods to make them strong.