Instructor: Lindsey Chenevert
Community: 10-14 year old males, Residential Treatment Center, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 7, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Props/Music Resources Required: Music-Anjali, CD Player, A Boy and a Bear Book
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: 10 Breaths lead by one youth at the front of the class, Close your eyes and begin to feel the stillness of your body with each breath, What in your life helps you calm yourself—to be able to find stillness within?
- Child’s Pose – Relax your neck, hips, and back. Feel your head become heavy, Place your arms alongside you as you feel your body become heavy and still
- Table Top
- Cat/Cow with Lion’s Breath – Breath in, lower head, and tuck tail as your back arches like a cat – As you exhale, look up, lifting your head and stick out your tongue going into Lion’s Breath – Move slowly and smoothly as you go from cat and cow (with lion’s breath during exhale) trying to make each breath equal during inhales and exhales
- Table Top
- Downward Dog – Activate your arms by straightening them and working towards straightening yours legs eventually – Walk hands towards feet
- Mat Flow Routine—Mountain to Mountain – Focus on your stillness during each pose, Hold each pose for 8 counts
- Tree – Imagine yourself standing tall and still on a warm day with the sun shining down on you, Listen to the quietness around you—what do you hear?
- Relaxation – Lower self to floor and find a comfortable position lying on your back. Take 15 seconds to be completely quiet and still.
- Read relaxation book – A Boy and a Bear – How did your body relax and experience stillness throughout the book being read?